|Current Race News...|
05-Jul-2020 - 12:49pm
Bayview Mackinac Race - Update - July 4, 2020
Current items to update everyone on.
02-Jul-2020 - 04:06pm
ATTENTION: Mackinac Racers,
The Port Huron Power Squadron is helping the Sailor’s participating in the Port Huron to Mackin
02-Jul-2020 - 12:01am
Doyle Sails has been a long time supporter of our race and here's a special message from Al Declercq and Doyle Sails to all participants in the
|Current Press Releases...||
|24-May-2020 - 10:01am |
Bayview Mackinac Race - Update - 18 May 2020
Current items to update everyone on:
- Port Huron Harbor Master has Reported:
- Marinas in Pt Huron will open on 15 May
- The City of Pt Huron will not have any additional restrictions other than those required by Governor Whitmer.
- I have spoken with the Mackinac Island Mayor, Margret Doud, and she is supportive of the Race. She is facilitating communication between the appropriate parties and just as we are, she encourages flexibility and patience.
- Mackinac Island has reported that they will begin opening on 1 June 2020 with a hard open on 19 June 2020
- The Mackinac Island Harbor Master has reported that the water is very high and they may not be turning on the power to the docks. This issue is being evaluated. Currently, they are planning to limit docking to one boat per well when they open. We will continue to stay in touch with the proper authorities and keep everyone up to date.
- Race Weather Briefing:
- The weather briefing will be virtual this year
- The briefing will be recorded on Friday and made available to all competitors via a link on the Race web site, bycmack.com.
- The briefing will be updated Saturday morning, with the latest info via a link on the Race web site, bycmack.com
- Early in the race week, a test will be set up just so racers can use the site once before the Race. Never hurts to practice these things…..
- We will NOT be printing any race documents/notifications this year unless it is ABSOLUTLY necessary. Always consult bycmack.com web site for official race documents and notifications.
- Great Lakes NOAA Weather Buoys - Per USCG LNM:13/20, NOAA Weather buoys throughout the Great Lakes will not be set on station as advertised in the Volume VII Great Lakes Light List. The National Data Buoy Center has postponed servicing of these buoy until further notice.
- The Coast Guard Permit was granted for the Chicago Race to Mackinac on 14 June 2020. We expect our permit any day.
General Questions we have received:
|Question ||Comment |
|Will there be a party in Port Huron? ||Not one sponsored by BYC |
|Will there be a party on Mackinac Island? ||Yes, we believe so but will be scaled back |
|Will my boat have a safety inspection on Mackinac Island? ||Yes, there will still be random inspections. |
|Will Endless Summer band be on Mackinac Island? ||Not this year. |
|Will awards be handed out on Mackinac Island ||Yes, we believe so |
|Will there be social distancing requirements on Mackinac Island? ||This will be up to Mackinac Island and government directives/requirements. |
|Will there be changes before the start of the race? ||Absolutely! |
|Could the race still be canceled? ||Yes it could, based on the conditions stated in the NOR. |
|Does Mackinac Island even want us on the island and can they accommodate us? ||The answer to both of these is a resounding yes! The Mackinac Island economy has been severely impacted. They want and need us to support them. |
|What right-of-way rules apply to a virtual mark? ||It's a mark regardless of its physical presence. Please review the RRS. |
|How does using Yellow Brick to score the race impact the finish times and possible scoring? ||It does not in any meaningful way impact the results. We have done research and the data shows that the change between scoring the boats by the bow or stern (YB Transponder Location) would not have impacted scoring in the past several years. We are working with US Sailing, World Sailing and Yellow Brick to come to a common understanding and agreement. |
What does all this mean?
The Bayview Mackinac Race is still a go! Get your entries in, Rating Certs processed and your boats ready!!
Chairman - 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race